Every transaction has tax implications, whether it is an acquisition, disposal, refinancing, restructuring or initial public offering. Our Transaction Tax Advisory team, one of three disciplines within International Tax and Transaction Services (ITTS), serves corporate and private capital markets clients in tax diligence, general transaction advisory, and overall transaction project management. Our integrated global approach means we deliver coordinated advice, helping clients make informed decisions and navigate the tax implications of their transactions aligning with the long-term strategy.
As an ITTS Assistant Manager specialising in Transaction Tax Advisory, you will be at the heart of client centricity delivery.
Based in Johannesburg but working nationally, you will be heavily involved at all stages of the project life cycle, making this a high-profile opportunity to take on a wide range of responsibilities and diversify your skills and experience. It is all about translating information from a variety of sources into quantitative and qualitative analyses to inform and advise our clients. That will include building relationships with clients in a spectrum of industries and getting to know their unique needs and aspirations to provide tailored global services.
You are required to demonstrate an understanding of increasingly complex tax concepts and effectively apply your tax knowledge to client situations, developing and delivering innovative tax planning ideas with timely, responsive services and work products that meet and/or exceed client expectations. You will conduct tax due diligence reviews, engage in structuring engagements, accurately analyse information and prepare quality, practical and creative approaches tailored to a client’s tax and economic situation, arriving at appropriate conclusions.
Skills And Attributes For Success
- Assisting with buy side and sell side due diligences
- Assisting in advising clients on the structuring of business transactions and tax implications thereof
- Drafting of opinions for clients on the tax consequences of restructures, mergers and acquisitions, as well as other pertinent matters
- Research of complex tax issues
- Interpretation of tax legislation
- Liaison with SARS and Counsel regarding complex and uncertain tax matters
- Assisting with the implementation of transactions, including:
- Review of financial models
- Review of tax implications of Transaction legal documentation
- responsibilities in respect of the above will include:
- Planning assignment approaches including understanding client expectations and scoping work
- Pro-actively identifying areas of contention, discussing with the engagement team and proposing solutions where possible
- Ensuring timely delivery
- Financial portfolio management, including WIP management, billings and cash collection
- Complying with risk management procedures
- Expanding professional network internally and externally
Key Internal Clients / Relationships
- ITTS partners and team
- The larger tax community and staff
- Cross-service line partners and managers
- Relevant firm subject matter experts
- Strategy and Transactions team
To qualify for the role you must have
- CA (SA), TA (SA) or admitted attorney
- Ability to communicate complex tax concepts succinctly and clearly to clients
- Experience managing budgets, projects and people
- Ability to develop relationships with clients and provide a high level of client service
- Excellent interpersonal skills and time management capabilities
- The ability to work at a fast pace, often with shifting responsibilities
- Minimum of 3 (three) years’ related experience
Ideally, you will also have
- A consistent record of excellence in a professional services environment
- Experience in one of the Big 4 preferable
What We Look For
You will proactively maintain your technical knowledge by keeping abreast of developments in Tax trends and issues so that you can better advise our clients. In return we will provide investment in the right sort of training and offer you the opportunities that will develop and challenge you so that you are in the best place to develop your career.
What Working At EY Offers
A competitive remuneration package where you will be rewarded for your individual and team performance. Our comprehensive total rewards package includes support for flexible working and career development. With FlexEY you can select benefits that suit your needs, covering holidays, health and well-being, insurance, savings, and a wide range of discounts, offers and promotions.Plus:
- Support, coaching and feedback from some of the most engaging colleagues around
- Opportunities to develop new skills and progress your career
- The opportunity to study towards an EY Tech MBA or EY Masters in Business Analytics (EY MBAN), both awarded by Hult International Business School at no charge to EY employees
- The freedom and flexibility to handle your role in a way that is right for you
EY is committed to being an inclusive employer and are happy to consider flexible working arrangements. We strive to achieve the right balance for our people, enabling us to deliver excellent client service whilst allowing you to build your career without sacrificing your personal priorities. While our client-facing professionals can be required to travel regularly, and at times be based at client sites, our flexible working arrangements can help you to achieve a lifestyle balance.
As a global leader in assurance, tax, transaction and advisory services, we are using the finance products, expertise and systems we have developed to build a better working world. That starts with a culture that believes in giving you the training, opportunities and creative freedom to make things better. We will provide you with an exceptional EY experience that will last a lifetime.
There are currently no vacancies.